Re: [vox-tech] Accessing cdrom from Tom's Root Boot

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:03, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 30 Dec 04, 10:58 AM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
said:
> > I'm trying to build a LuMiX box; the distribution comes as a big tar file
> > on a Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to get to the cdrom
> > drive.  I imagine that when I booted the computer, it detected the cdrom
> > drive somehow, but dmesg reveals nothing about it.  I've tried to mount
> > /dev/hdc through /dev/hde to /cdrom, but I've had no luck.  The message I
> > receive is:
> >
> > # mount -a
> > mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe
> > 'insmod driver'?)
> >
> > The relevant entry in /etc/fstab looks like this:
> >
> > /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 1 1
> >
> > What am I missing?  I've never done an installation like this; these
> > newfangled distributions like FC3 and even Debian make everything too
> > easy.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Please post:
>
>    dmesg | egrep '^hd[a-z]'

# dmesg | egrep '^hd[a-z]'
hda: WDC AC23200L, ATA DISK drive
hda: WDC AC23200L, 2098MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=787/128/63
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3

Apparently the CD-ROM drive is *not* being detected during boot, even though
I've got the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive, and it spins up during
bootup.  The cable to the drive is firmly seated.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com