Re: [vox-tech] SoundBlaster 16 woes

On Sun 26 Dec 04, 10:27 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:39:21PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > One: Do you see anything interesting with this:
> >
> >    strace modprobe -a sb 2>&1 | egrep -v 'map|brk'
> >

> What constitutes "interesting?" ;^)

Anything that says "ENO*" might be interesting.

Use your intuition!  Since I removed all the memory (un)mapping and brk-ing,
you should be familiar with a lot of what's going on.

> > Three: sb depends on other other modules being loaded in before hand
> >    ("module stacking").  Are those other modules present?  What happens
> >    when you try to modprobe THEM if they aren't loaded?  It's been a long
> >    time since I've used the OSS drivers, but I think the main dependency
> >    is simply called "sound.o".
>
> I've played a little with the sound and soundcore modules, but if I rmmod
> both of them, and then do 'modprobe sb', none of them reappear.
>
> Also, if I do 'modprobe sound', I'm noticing it's not loading.  Hrmm...

That's normal.  sb.o depends on sound.o, but sound.o does not depend on
sb.o.

Wild stab in the dark -- do "depmod -a".

The sb module is certainly not behaving.  Do the strace and look at it.
You'll know if something is wrong.  I'm wondering if it's a kernel
dependency bug?

Pete