January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] SoundBlaster 16 woes

Hello, all!  Happy Holidays!

I just got back from out of town and did an 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'
on my Debian Testing box.  In the process, it apparently installed an
updated version of the Linux kernel 2.4.27-1-686 package, and told me
(using VERY strong words) that I needed to reboot. :^)

30 seconds later (I always forget how fast Linux reboots compared to WinXP!)
I was up and running... /except/ sound stopped working!

It's been a LONG time since I set any of this stuff up, but I believe I've
been using the 'sb' kernel module for an ancient SoundBlaster 16 card in
this Celeron system.  ("/etc/modules" has a line with "sb" on it ;^) )

Unfortunately, when I do "modprobe sb", nothing happens.  "lsmod" doesn't
show the 'sb' module loaded (and "rmmod sb" complains that it's not loaded).

I checked 'dmesg', /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog and see nothing
in any of them when I run the 'modprobe' command.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking, or other things I can try?

Thanks!  (It's quiet...  TOO quiet  ;^) )

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                               Have I been helpful?
http://newbreedsoftware.com/    http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick