Re: [vox-tech] php: variables within echo

Re: [vox-tech] php: variables within echo

It's because $_POST is an array whereas $var is not.  Try this instead:

  echo "<p>Blue.  $_POST[elderberries]</p>";

(Remove quotes around "elderberries").  Whenever possible, I try to do
this instead for robustness:

  printf("<p>Blue.  %s</p>", $_POST['elderberries']);

Or, if printf is impractical because you need to assign the result to
a variable, this is more useful:

  $html = sprintf("<p>Blue.  %s</p>", $_POST['elderberries']);
  # ... do stuff with $html ...

Or, under some rare circumstances where you can't use sprintf for some
reason (too long to explain why this might be so, but it happens
sometimes), this technique comes in handy:

  ob_start();
  printf("<p>Blue.  %s</p>", $_POST['elderberries']);
  $html = ob_get_contents();
  ob_end_clean();
  # ... do stuff with $html ...

-Mark

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> This works the way you'd expect any scripting language to work:
>
>    $var = "No, yellow!";
>    echo "<p>Blue.  $var</p>";
>
> However, this gives a parse error:
>
>    echo "<p>Blue.  $_POST['elderberries']</p>";
>
> Instead, it has to be written this way:
>
>    echo "<p>Blue.  " . $_POST['elderberries'] . "</p>";
>
> or this way:
>
>    $var = $_POST['elderberries'];
>    echo "<p>Blue.  $var</p>";
>
> What exactly is the difference between the "stringyness" of an automatic
> variable and a $_POST variable?  Why the parse error in code #2?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> PS- Offtopic... I quite literally ROFL'ed reading this:
>
>    http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/
>
> This guy has cajones!  My favorite response is to enya one.  My favorite
> threat letter is from Sega.  It's hilarious that they say:
>
>    * If you receive this email by accident, please return it to us.
>    * Emails from us may contain viruses that damage your computer.
>      We're not liable if they do.
>

> --
> The mathematics of physics has become ever more abstract, rather than more
> complicated.  The mind of God appears to be abstract but not complicated.
> He also appears to like group theory.  --  Tony Zee's "Fearful Symmetry"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci