January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] php: variables within echo

This works the way you'd expect any scripting language to work:

   $var = "No, yellow!";
   echo "<p>Blue.  $var</p>";

However, this gives a parse error:

   echo "<p>Blue.  $_POST['elderberries']</p>";

Instead, it has to be written this way:

   echo "<p>Blue.  " . $_POST['elderberries'] . "</p>";

or this way:

   $var = $_POST['elderberries'];
   echo "<p>Blue.  $var</p>";

What exactly is the difference between the "stringyness" of an automatic
variable and a $_POST variable?  Why the parse error in code #2?

Thanks,
Pete

PS- Offtopic... I quite literally ROFL'ed reading this:

   http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/

This guy has cajones!  My favorite response is to enya one.  My favorite
threat letter is from Sega.  It's hilarious that they say:

   * If you receive this email by accident, please return it to us.
   * Emails from us may contain viruses that damage your computer.
     We're not liable if they do.