Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Jonathan's suggestion is the most economical and likely to succeed. Let's
see what's inside of /boot. I'm hoping there will be more than one kernel.

Pete

Okay, with the duplicate system I had a hard time figuring out which was the "working" one. So here's the info. If the entry does not appear in white in /boot, then the color of the entry is in parentheses following the entry. I hope my handwritten notes are correct.

"System.map-2.6.8-24.10-default
System.map-2.6.8-24.10-um
backup_mbr

boot (pale blue)
config-2.6.8-24.10-default
config-2.6.8-24.10-um
grug (blue)
initrd (green)

initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default
initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um
linux (pale blue)
linux-2.6.8-24.10-um (green)
memtest.bin

message
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-i386-default.gz (red)
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-um-um.gz (red)
vmlinux-2.6.8-24.10-default.gz (red)
vmlinux (pale blue)
vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default"

I'm wondering if I should have done a ls -l to get dates for these.

Yep, "ls -l" would be helpful, but for seeing which files are symlinks. Hopefully you have 2 separate kernels available, "2.6.8-24.10-um" and "2.6.8-24.10-default", and that one is not a symlink to the other. From your first post, the errors seemed to be about the "um" kernel. Maybe we can try to boot the "default" kernel. This will require some manual editing of grub.conf (or maybe menu.1st; on my system, menu.1st is a symlink to grub.conf). Can you share a "ls -l" of /boot and /boot/grub?

Jonathan