Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Being able to recover from this kind of thing is of prime importance for the
scenario that a system you depend on gets hosed.

You're right.

As long as you don't care about the system, take the opportunity to learn
how to recover.

You're right.

At best, you'll get your system back. At worst, you'll
learn a little more than you know now.

You're right.

What exactly do you see when you boot that system?

Grub gives me these options:

1) SuSE Linux 9.2
2) Windows
3) Floppy
4) SuSE Linux 9.2 (Failsafe)
5) Memory Test

Options (1) and (4) lead to the same kernel panic error message I mentioned earlier.

Option (3) won't help as I haven't made a boot floppy yet.

The SuSE installation CD gives me an option for an automatic repair. But that doesn't work.

The SuSE installation CD give me a "rescue" option. When I log in I get a prompt. But there's not much I can do with the prompt. I can't find anything. There seems to be a massive root directory with nothing there. My notes on mounting don't have anything on mounting partitions. For example this doesn't work "mount /dev/hdb2"

I'd at least like to get to my home directory and read a file I have that contains my old mount points for each partition. But I'm not going anywhere with the rescue prompt.

Also, Rod Roark has a duplicate of the original install. But GRUB does not recognize it. In other words, I have my "working" system, and a duplicate install on /dev/hdb2 and /dev/hdb3, but I'm not sure which is which. I could figure it out if I could read that file in my home directory. But then I don't know enough about GRUB to figure out how to add the duplicate to the boot menu. One of my projects was to read SuSE help about GRUB configuration, but I didn't get around to it in time.

Thanks.

Bob