Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

On Thursday 23 December 2004 01:26 pm, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> With my CD I can get to rescue mode with a prompt for root to issue
> commands, but I never know what to do.

Looks like it's time to learn a few things.  :-)

First you want to boot the CD into rescue mode and make sure
your SuSE root partiton is mounted; you can use the "df"
command to see what's mounted and where.

If it's not mounted then you can mount it with something
like this:

  mkdir /myroot
  mount -t reiserfs  /dev/hdb1  /myroot

This assumes your SuSE root partition is /dev/hdb1 (first
partiton on secondary drive), change accordingly.

Then, see what's in /myroot/etc/lilo.conf or in
/myroot/etc/grub.conf, depending on which of these exists,
and tell us what you find.  My guess is that something is
not right in there.  Alternatively it may be that your
kernel image (and/or initrd image) was replaced but lilo
was not run accordingly.

-- Rod