Re: [vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

Re: [vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
[snip]
> Yes, thank you Bill.  Here's the Ken Bloom creation:
>
> /dev/hda1            /mnt/windows         vfat
> defaults,uid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077
>
> Remember, I don't know what any of this means after the "vfat" entry.
[snip]

Change the stuff after vfat to:

  defaults,uid=1000,gid=win,fmask=117,dmask=007

(Add a "gid" entry, and modify fmask/dmask fields).  This will allow any
user in the group "win" to read/write to/from the /mnt/windows directory.
Explanation: The "gid" sets the group that /mnt/windows will be mounted
in; "fmask" sets the `chmod` of all the files within /mnt/windows; and the
"dmask" sets the `chmod` of all the directories within /mnt/windows.

But to do this, you first need to create a group named "win":

  addgroup win

then add "bob" and "research" to that group:

  adduser bob win
  adduser research win

I think I got the syntaxes right.

You can't simply `chmod` /mnt/windows or anything underneath because VFAT
has no concept of permissions, at least not to the fine detail that UNIX
has.  And you can't `chmod` /mnt/windows before mounting the partition
because the mounting point permission takes on the permission of what is
mounted on it after the mounting.  So to resolve this problem, you can set
the permission of *all* the files and *all* the directories of a VFAT
partition as you mount it, which is what we did above.

Questions? -- "mail vox"!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim