Re: [vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 11:17:42PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> On Sunday 19 December 2004 23:00, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >

> > I think because it's a mount point, you can't really affect its
> > permissions. Can you remind us what the exact fstab entry was that you
> > used?
>
> Yes, thank you Bill.  Here's the Ken Bloom creation:
>
> /dev/hda1            /mnt/windows         vfat
> defaults,uid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077
>
> Remember, I don't know what any of this means after the "vfat" entry.

Ah, here we go.  "uid" would be the 'user id' for who 'owns' this
mounted drive.  In this case, I'm guessing "bob"'s uid is 1000. :^)

The 'fmask' and 'dmask' are no doubt octal masks that set the permissions
of files and directories (respectively) once the drive is mounted.

Try removing "uid=1000" and replace it with simply "user", and see if
the new account can mount the drive themselves, and if so, if they can
read and write to it...

> BTW, I recently read on the Mozilla web site that Mandrake automatically
> configures a dual boot system to mount the Windows partition read-write.
> That's nice for the newbies, and the bewbies like me who never learn.  But
> this is a SuSE system.

Sadly, I'm not familiar with either.  I also have to admit that I have no
dual-boot systems, so I'm just going off what little I know about 'mount'
and the man page.  Hopefully I'm helping some. ;)

Good luck!