Re: [vox-tech] Using Perl to Find and Replace

Re: [vox-tech] Using Perl to Find and Replace

Trevor M. Lango wrote:
I am working on a cdrom 'snapshot' of a website I help
maintain for use at demos where there is no network
access.

Practically every page uses server side includes.

I need to scan through an html file for expressions of
the following format:

  <!--
   #include virtual=
   "relative_path_to_file/filename"
  -->

and replace the expression:

  <!--
   #include virtual=
   "relative_path_to_file/filename"
  -->

with the contents of 'filename'.  I know how to use
Perl to scan through a file for a specified regular
expression and replace it (thank to an earlier post -
you guys are awesome!) but I'm lost as to how to
locate regular expressions of the given pattern,
interpret a portion of it as the name of a file, then
extract that file's content and replace the original
expression...!?

Perl, anyone...? ;-)

- Trevor

I think you can make the replace a reference to a subroutine (which would return the contents of the file), but I can't seem to google the right words to see how it works. Maybe someone else can say

Jay