Re: [vox-tech] Xterm and terminal types

On Friday 10 December 2004 03:54 pm, Shwaine wrote:
>From my experiences (which was over 5 years ago), getting fully compliant
> client programs that can successfully interpret all of SCO's stuff is
> rather dicey. I can't remember what I did for Linux (or if I even got it
> working on Linux or not) since it was so long ago. I do remember several
> weeks of trying to access FoxPro for SCO to only get a mess on screen
> (that program had a curses-like gui interface, so it really tested the
> limits of compatability). I also remember that only one Windows program
> was able to access it correctly, although I don't remember which, and that
> using ANSI terminals did not work. So for everyone that thinks SCO ANSI is
> just an extension of ANSI, I can tell you from experience that it's a very
> BIG extension such that you should not expect an ANSI terminal to get you
> much beyond the basic command line.
>
> I would suggest that you take a laptop or test machine to your sister's
> now (if possible) and test out all the ideas offered here on their
> particular application. Even terminals which claim to support SCO ANSI
> might not for their program, depending on how well it supports SCO ANSI.
> My general thought is if it's still tied to SCO even now, that it probably
> does make extensive use of SCO specific extensions, otherwise it probably
> would have been ported to another *nix long ago, so you need something
> which is almost flawless in emulation. You might want to ask your sister
> why they only use the one Windows program and if it's because others
> didn't work, then that's another point in evidence that you'll need a
> terminal which fully supports SCO ANSI.

This makes sense, and is excellent feedback.  I'll try
"export TERM=linux" after the remote login and see what
happens.

If that's not good enough then it appears the problem can be
solved by throwing money at it; currently they use a Windows
app called PowerTerm, and there seems to be a Linux version
of the same product available for $89.

Thanks,

-- Rod