Re: [vox-tech] Xterm and terminal types

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> Since most X terminals understand "xterm" and its variants only, you'll
> either need to use a different terminal program or a program that
> can translate one term-speak to another.

As I recall, vte (the terminal widget used by gnome-terminal) was designed
to read a termcap file and configure itself to understand the escape
sequences described in that termcap.

Most people only ever use it with xterm, but it it ought to be possible to
get it to emulate sco-ansi by feeding it the right termcap.

---
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department
1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8673
USA