Re: [vox-tech] Xterm and terminal types

Looks like you won't have any issue.  My distribution, and probably the
one you'll be isntalling on your sister's systems, already has "scoansi"
terminfo at the following location:

   /usr/share/terminfo/s/scoansi

To use this terminfo, simply set the environment variable TERM (in Bourne
Shell, or "term" in CSH) to "scoansi".

FYI, both termcap and terminfo describes the sequence of characters a
program sends to stdout to control various behaviors of the terminal.
There are character sequences (usually beginning with <esc>) for clearing
the screen, moving the cursor, bolding the text, etc.  UNIX, since it's so
flexible, can handle multiple types, as long as you tell it what terminal
type is in use.

Termcap is the old way of doing things, and all the termal character
sequence information was all stored in /etc/termcap in plain ASCII.
Terminfo is the new way of doing things, and the binary file describing
each terminal character sequence is stored in one file per terminal type
in /usr/share/terminfo (or /etc/terminfo, and other places the system has
designated.)  Linux will work with either (I suppose preferring terminfo,
then falling back on termcap if terminfo for the specified terminal isn't
available.)

Printer filter data files look very much like the old /etc/termcap file,
since the principle of bolding text and things like that is same.  I
imagine the newer printer filter data files look more like the new
terminfo file format.

There is a pair of programs for converting data from terminfo to termcap
format and vice-versa.  Look at man pages for `captoinfo` and `infotocap`.

-Mark

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> So, the good news is that my sister, an MD in Tennessee,
> wants me to switch most of the computers in her clinic from
> Windows to Linux.
>
> They have a practice management system running on an SCO
> server (yeah, I know...) and it seems the clients currently
> connect to it via telnet with a Windows terminal emulation
> program.  I'm told by the vendor that the terminal program
> needs to support "SCO ANSI" as the terminal type.
>
> The upgraded clients will run KDE, so the obvious terminal
> program is Konsole; I think it works a lot like xterm and
> may even be based on it.
>
> Anyway, I don't really understand all the nuances of termcap,
> terminfo, setterm, stty, etc. and what, if anything I might
> need to do to make the terminal emulation work properly.
> I did some googling but it was not very helpful.
>
> Does anyone understand this stuff enough to enlighten me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Rod

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius