Re: [vox-tech] USB/Firewire HDDs with laptop

Re: [vox-tech] USB/Firewire HDDs with laptop

I think newer BIOSes have configuration option to boot off of USB devices
first, if any of them have a bootable image.  At least you can on my
desktop.  Hopefully the laptops have caught onto that trend as well.

-Mark

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Are you wanting to boot Linux off the external drive?  I don't believe
> that is an easy thing to do.  You probably want to dual boot linux and
> windows on your internal drive.  If you need more space, you can
> subsequently set up mount points on the external drive for things like
> /home, /opt, /usr/local, etc.
>
> Jonathan
>

> ronald@myvirtualemail.biz wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Has anybody had experience with installing and using Linux on an external
> > drive (USB/Firewire) for a laptop.
> >
> > I'm not ready to trash an existing HDD running M/S on newest laptop, and
> > an external drive is the cheapest solution.
> >
> > I'm looking at installing CentOS (http://www.caosity.org/) a RHEL 3 free
> > port, necessary as I'm wanting to trial Oracle 10g. Unfortunately, only
> > the M/S laptop has enough ram (1GB) for it to work.
> >
> > Any feedback or experiences would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ronald Bradford

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius