Re: [vox-tech] portable mp3 player in linux

On Fri 03 Dec 04, 11:04 AM, David Hummel <dhml@comcast.net> said:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:01:32AM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> better to hack together playlists instead.  Oh, another limitation is a
> 52 character limit on file and directory names.

Do you feel limited by that?  Sounds like a built-in limitation of the
filesystem.  I wonder if that could be increased with a firmware upgrade in
the future...

> >  * sound quality is said to be "OK".
>
> Sound quality is excellent.  Better than iPod.  Better than Creative
> Nomad.  These are direct comparisons with identical files, and are the
> only other players I've compared.  Most of the reviews I read concur
> with this.  I think most of the time people complain about sound quality
> on MP3 players, it's not so much the player but the fact that they are
> listening to lossy-compressed audio, and the quality varies depending on
> the encoder, codec, etc.  And this will _never_ come close to being CD
> quality, despite what people claim.  This situation can be helped by
> using better codecs, like Ogg, and of course higher bitrates.

I've heard that ogg sounds similar to an mp3 file at 64kbs higher in
sampling, so that a 64kbs ogg sounds like a 128 kbs mp3.  I've also read that
that 192kbs ogg is indistinguishable from flac.  I started to collect flac,
but haven't jumped on the ogg bandwagon yet.  Perhaps it's time...

I'm SO glad this thread appeared.  I have the Ravemp3, one of the first mp3
players to come out.  It has a whopping 32MB of flash.  It'll be so nice to
have more than 6-8 songs.   ;-)

Pete