Re: [vox-tech] Installing from .gz archive?

Re: [vox-tech] Installing from .gz archive?

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:06:25 -0800
Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:52, Ken Bloom wrote:
>
> > Let's have a look at what's inside the .gz archive. If you hve
> > another Linux computer, mount the CD there, and run
> > $ tar tzf thearchive.tar.gz
> >
> > You'll probably go about installing this system by downloading an
> > image of tom's root boot floppy, and a copy of rawrite2, using
> > rawrite2 to write the image to a floppy. Then you'll boot from that
> > floppy, use that to set up all of your partitions, mount your boot
> > partition then run tar from that floppy to untar the archive.
> >
> > If Tom's Root Boot doesn't have all of the tools you need to do
> > that, then find something more full-featured like the LinuxCare
> > Bootable Business Card.
> >
> > This, I think, is how they used to install Linux in the old days.
>
> I wonder if the boot disk from another Linux box would suffice?

You mean the hard drive? Sure - anything that can boot the computer to
something with tar, gzip, an an ability to access the target
filesystem.

You can also move the hard drive from this computer to another more
powerful (and uncrippled) one and do the install there, then move it
back - just make sure you set up the bootloader on the correct drive.