Re: [vox-tech] Installing from .gz archive?

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:52, Ken Bloom wrote:

> Let's have a look at what's inside the .gz archive. If you hve another
> Linux computer, mount the CD there, and run
> $ tar tzf thearchive.tar.gz
>
> You'll probably go about installing this system by downloading an
> image of tom's root boot floppy, and a copy of rawrite2, using
> rawrite2 to write the image to a floppy. Then you'll boot from that
> floppy, use that to set up all of your partitions, mount your boot
> partition then run tar from that floppy to untar the archive.
>
> If Tom's Root Boot doesn't have all of the tools you need to do that,
> then find something more full-featured like the LinuxCare Bootable
> Business Card.
>
> This, I think, is how they used to install Linux in the old days.

I wonder if the boot disk from another Linux box would suffice?

At the moment, this step is moot.  Whenever this computer was originally
set up, the tech enabled the "setup password" in the BIOS screen, so I
can't set it up to boot from the floppy until I get that password. And
no one seems to know what it is (it's an old computer, at least two
techs ago).

--
Richard S. Crawford / http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K / ICQ: 11646404 / Y!: rscrawford