2004 Nov 30 17:17

Re: [vox-tech] vim question: making mapping atomic w.r.t the '.'command

On Tue 30 Nov 04,  2:32 PM, Mitch Patenaude <mrp@sonic.net> said:
> >This macro works, but you have to position the cursor on the beginning
> >of the
> >word, otherwise, you end up with only a part of the word emphasized.
> >Another
> >strategy would be:
> >
> >   1. Find the previous space character.
> >   2. Move the cursor right by one.
> >   3. Then change the word.
> >
> >Here would be that strategy expressed as a macro:
> >
> >   :nmap gfe F lcw\empf{<esc>pa}<esc>
>
> Why not use the 'b' command, which finds the beginning of a word, and
> works for words at the beginning of a line as well.
>
> :nmap gfe bcw\emph{<esc>ea}<esc>
>
>   -- Mitch

I did suggest it (I think) in a part of the email you snipped off.  The
problem with using bcw is that it won't work if the cursor is at the
beginning of the word.  Go ahead and try it.

Matt's suggestion is right on the money.  I wasn't aware of ciw.  Pretty
neat!

Pete