2004 Nov 30 14:49

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:33:35 -0800
Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):
>
> > I think he wanted to make the computer *emulate* a printer. Which
> > would be an interesting exercise, and would probably be as simple as
> > using cat, assuming the machine isn't sending any formatting to the
> > printer.
>
> Well, he didn't _really_ want to emulate a printer, if I understood
> correctly.  The printer was a fallback solution, and an unsatisfactory
> one at that; what he wanted was to log scientific output.  Logging it
> to file would seem what he was aiming at, but he had the problem of
> not being able to run ethernet out of that room.  (Why he didn't use
> ethernet _within_ the room wasn't clear to me.)

Well, in terms of the parallel solution - the machine's parallel port
could probably only speak printerese - not PLIP. But, I agree he
probably didn't _really_ want to emulate a printer.

(Now, I'm curious to try emulating a parallel printer using a Linux
box.)

--Ken Bloom