2004 Nov 30 15:02

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):

> I think he wanted to make the computer *emulate* a printer. Which
> would be an interesting exercise, and would probably be as simple as
> using cat, assuming the machine isn't sending any formatting to the
> printer.

Well, he didn't _really_ want to emulate a printer, if I understood
correctly.  The printer was a fallback solution, and an unsatisfactory
one at that; what he wanted was to log scientific output.  Logging it to
file would seem what he was aiming at, but he had the problem of not
being able to run ethernet out of that room.  (Why he didn't use
ethernet _within_ the room wasn't clear to me.)

> Certainly PLIP isn't involved.

Well, it would be if he decided to solve the problem via an NFS mount
onto a nearby Linux host.  Thus my suggestion.