2004 Nov 30 12:30

Re: [vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

Re: [vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, wild bill wrote:

Thanks again to all for their time, effort and input.
Thanks especially to Ken Bloom for persevering with finding
the ultimate solution.

I don't know why uncommenting the required entries in the
rc.modprobe file did not work;  but, as Ken suggested, I
put the modprobe parport_pc and modprobe lp where Slackware
would find them on startup.  I chose rc.local since it is
my hack of the problem and it seems to me to be a logical
choice.

Manually editing the /edit/cups/printers.conf failed to
produce print output.  And, the parallel port choice still
does not show in the http://localhost:631/admin Device
screen.  However, the KDE printer setup was able to do its
magic and produced the Cups Printer Test Page.

I was on vacation, so apologies for the late reply, but it seems to me that you did not edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules properly. I also have a Slack 10.0 install and had no issues with loading the lp module via that file. The section you need should appear as such, starting at line 62:

#### Parallel printer support ###
if cat /proc/ksyms | grep "\[lp\]" 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
echo "lp support built-in, not loading module" > /dev/null
else
if [ -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o \
-o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o.gz \
-o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o \
-o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o.gz ]; then
/sbin/modprobe lp
fi
fi

Note the line /sbin/modprobe lp. If it is not working on your system, then the if statement to fine the module is failing for some reason. RELEASE is set to uname -r. I am still using the default kernel and kernel modules that came with Slackware and it works fine. The module is found in /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o.gz. Are you running a custom kernel? If so, did you remember to make modules and make modules-install? If you aren't, did you install the kernel modules package? Can you find the lp module in one of the above locations substituting the output of uname -r for RELEASE?

The above section of rc.modules gets the modules loaded before CUPS loads so CUPS sees the parallel port. The rc.local file executes last in the rc.M script, so that's probably why CUPS is still not seeing the parallel port in your solution. I actually avoid putting any modprobes in rc.local for this reason (and for compatability with hotplug). rc.modules is the place for modprobes. Plus rc.modules gets called from rc.S, while rc.local only gets called from rc.M, which means you'd only get printer support in multi-user init mode and would lose it in single user init mode using your current solution. Perhaps not vital for the printer, but could be a problem with other drivers, so I thought I'd point out the differences between the two files.

Shwaine