2004 Nov 29 11:33

[vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

[vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

Thanks again to all for their time, effort and input.
Thanks especially to Ken Bloom for persevering with finding
the ultimate solution.

I don't know why uncommenting the required entries in the
rc.modprobe file did not work;  but, as Ken suggested, I
put the modprobe parport_pc and modprobe lp where Slackware
would find them on startup.  I chose rc.local since it is
my hack of the problem and it seems to me to be a logical
choice.

Manually editing the /edit/cups/printers.conf failed to
produce print output.  And, the parallel port choice still
does not show in the http://localhost:631/admin Device
screen.  However, the KDE printer setup was able to do its
magic and produced the Cups Printer Test Page.

A document was subsequently printed from ABIWord so at last
all is well.

Thanks again to all.

Bill Wells