January 6: Social gathering
2004 Nov 23 09:53

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:53:47 -0800
wild bill <hammer29@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Monday 22 November 2004 15:54, Henry House wrote:
> > På måndag, 22 november 2004, skrev Ken Bloom:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > hey - that's only the last 10 lines of the file. you
> > > have to have him search the whole thing if you think
> > > something will be there. judging from what information
> > > we have so far, I don't think he'll see anything
> > > though.
> >
> > Er yes, I should have asked for 'tail -f /var/log/syslog
> > &' to run in the background while doing the other tests.
> > Sorry for that lapse. But if the printer does not respond
> > when text is echoed to /dev/lp0, that is a discouraging
> > sign.
> the /var/log/syslog showed nothing on parport() parallel or
> lp0
>

> after modprobe parport_pc and modprobe lp,
> echo hello>/dev/lp0
> turns the lights on on the printer, page advance gives me a
> sheet with hello printed o PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!

You'll want to edit whatever file Slackware keeps it's list of modules
to load on startup, and add lp and parport_pc to that list.

You might also try manually editing /etc/cups/printers.conf as you have
mentioned previously on the list.

--Ken Bloom