2004 Nov 22 13:35

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

`lpr` is the command for printing, not `lp0`.  `lp0` is the name of the
device you should be printing to.

Run these three commands and let us know what they say:

   $ls -l /dev/lp0
   $grep 0378 /proc/ioports
   $/sbin/lsmod | grep '^p'

-Mark

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, wild bill wrote:

> First of all I would like to thank all who responeded to my
> original post.  They verified that I was/had been
> proceeding correctly.
>
> I am still unable to print with my HP 4L printer.
>
> 	Printer connected to Parallel port
> 		PC Parallel Port Support section in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
> 			uncommented
> 		Parallel Printer Support  section in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
> 			uncommented
>
> 	Using hpijs driver
>
> 	root@OCELOT:/etc/cups# lp0
> 	bash: lp0: command not found
>
> Last night, I saw another Slackware 10.0 box and asked the
> user to enter http://localhost:631/admin in Konquerer so I
> could show him my problem.  He had no printer set up so we
> proceeded.  At he second screen {Device for .......}, there
> appeared two entries for Parallel Port. in additon to those
> for
> 		AppSocket/HPJetDirect
> 		Internet Printing Protocol (http)
> 		internet Printing Prootocol (ipp)
> 		LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> 		SCSI Printer
> 		Serial Pot #1 to 48
> 		USB Printer 1 to 16
> 		Windows Printer via Samba
>
> These Parallel Port entries are not present in the like
> screen on my Slackware box.
>
> He said that I probably had somehow disabled the parallel
> port in my bios since the kernel was not seeing it.
>
> Seemed logical so this am, I have be wrestling with the fact
> that my bios has parallel set to auto and it is recognized
> in the bios bootup screen as active on 378.
>
> How can I induce my kernel (2.6.7) to see the parallel port?
> And, yes I did reboot to the original 2.4 kernel and I have
> the same problem.
>
> Bill WElls

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius