January 6: Social gathering
2004 Nov 22 15:54

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

On Mon 22 Nov 04, 10:36 AM, wild bill <hammer29@sbcglobal.net> said:

> How can I induce my kernel (2.6.7) to see the parallel port?
> And, yes I did reboot to the original 2.4 kernel and I have
> the same problem.

stock distro kernels build everything as a module.  you should be able to do
"modprobe -a parport".  if you see a "not found" message, look in
/proc/config.gz to see of parport was bolted into the kernel.

if you get an error message that says something about IRQ settings (which
seems to be the generic message whenever anything goes wrong with module

pete