2004 Nov 17 10:39

Re: [vox-tech] problematic computer (when installing linux)

Re: [vox-tech] problematic computer (when installing linux)

While you're checking for DMA, see if Windows uses DMA, too.  If Windows
does but Linux can't, then there's a problem.  To check it, go to [Control
Panel] -> [System] -> [Device Manager] -> select the IDE controllers ->
[Properties] -> second tab.

:: why do i know these things off the top of my head...? -_-' ::

-Mark

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Can I assume you've googled about your particular hardware?  Maybe your
> CD/DVD just won't play nice with DMA.  One thing worth trying is to see
> how your computer behaves with KNOPPIX.  When booting knoppix, do:
>
> knoppix dma
>
> to enable dma support of your drives.  If everything works, then you
> know your hardware is OK as long as it gets detected/configured properly.
>
> HTH,
> Jonathan
>

> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have a machine here that is starting to drive me crazy. It is a Compaq
> > Pentiumm III class machine, with integrated everything, and a funky case.
> >
> > I have tried just about every flavor of linux, and only 1 (SUSE 9.1) would
> > even install. Even after I installed it, any attempts by the OS to enable
> > DMA access to one of the CDROMS led to a nasty crash.
> >
> > The CD drives function perfectly from windows, and in SUSE 9.1 when in it
> > DMA mode...However, every linux install CD barfs about half way though the
> > install process...
> >
> > The offending IDE controller is an Intel 82801AA.
> >
> > So it has come down to a couple options:
> > 1. use windows, and put up with all the crap associated with it (obviously
> > not ideal)
> >
> > 2. re-install SUSE 9.1 and put up with broken DVD playback (needs DMA) and
> > funky sound
> >
> > 3. replace some of the hardware and install Debian / Yoper
> >
> > My question to the list is: Does anyone know where one can get a hold of
> > some decent pentium III class hardware that I can use to put together a
> > working machine. Ideally a mini Shuttle-type system would be ideal, but
> > they seem to price out at about $400 minimum.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Dylan

Mark K. Kim