2004 Nov 16 19:43

[vox-tech] problematic computer (when installing linux)

[vox-tech] problematic computer (when installing linux)

Hi everyone,

I have a machine here that is starting to drive me crazy. It is a Compaq
Pentiumm III class machine, with integrated everything, and a funky case.

I have tried just about every flavor of linux, and only 1 (SUSE 9.1) would
even install. Even after I installed it, any attempts by the OS to enable
DMA access to one of the CDROMS led to a nasty crash.

The CD drives function perfectly from windows, and in SUSE 9.1 when in it
DMA mode...However, every linux install CD barfs about half way though the
install process...

The offending IDE controller is an Intel 82801AA.

So it has come down to a couple options:
1. use windows, and put up with all the crap associated with it (obviously
not ideal)

2. re-install SUSE 9.1 and put up with broken DVD playback (needs DMA) and
funky sound

3. replace some of the hardware and install Debian / Yoper

My question to the list is: Does anyone know where one can get a hold of
some decent pentium III class hardware that I can use to put together a
working machine. Ideally a mini Shuttle-type system would be ideal, but
they seem to price out at about $400 minimum.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Dylan