2004 Nov 15 14:16

Re: [vox-tech] Printing on non-Linux-compatible printers via WindowsPC (was: Printer Recommendation?

On Sunday 14 November 2004 19:00, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Hey Trevor.  I moved the e-mail back to vox-tech so other people can
> benefit from our discussion.  I hope that's okay.
>
> Yeah, so the URL I gave you shows you how to setup the Windows XP computer
> attached to the printer.  After that's all done, the Linux computer can
> print to the Windows computer just like any UNIX computer on the network
> with its LPR port open.  This can be done in several ways, but these days
> it's done most commonly with CUPS.  There are several CUPS-configuration
> tools, but the canonical one is a web-interface one which you can access
> from your Linux box via this URL:
>
>    http://localhost:631/
>
> Select "Administration Tasks", enter "root" as your username and type in
> the root password, [Add Printer], type in a printer name then continue,
> select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer", type in the URL to the printer in this
> format:
>
>   lpd://windows_box_ip/queue
>
> where "windows_box_ip" is the IP address or the name of the windows box,
> and "queue" is "GhostscriptLPR" (if you followed the directions on the
> website exactly.)  You might need to change your windows box to static IP
> and refer to the box by its IP if you can't use the windows box's name as
> "windows_box_ip".

Okay - it *almost* seems to be working... :)  I set up everything exactly
according to that guide's specifcaitons and yours.  On my linux box, when I
go to http://localhost:631 and go to the "manage printers" section and click
on "Print Test Page" - and then I watch the "GhostscriptLPR" print queue on
the windows machine - I see the document spooling - and then deleting - and
nothing actually prints.  Any suggestions?  Thanks again for your help with
this!

- Trevor

[snip]