2004 Nov 14 16:41

Re: [vox-tech] What not to backup on RH9/apache

Re: [vox-tech] What not to backup on RH9/apache

Stuff you really should back up:

  /etc
  /home
  /var   (don't need everything here but back up everything just in case)

Stuff you don't really need to back up 'cuz they should be empty, but you
should if they aren't:

  /usr/etc
  /usr/local/etc

Everything else you should be able to recover from the original Linux CD
by reinstalling or whatever.  If you don't want to go through the
reinstallation process if your system gets ever trashed, you should back
up everything except /tmp.  But don't quote me on that -- double and
triple check just in case.

If you don't back up everything but just the directories I list above, be
careful when you restore your system because you have to make sure you've
installed the exact same packages and restore just the stuff you need and
don't create conflicting settings.  I *highly* recommend you back up
everything unless you know exactly what's going on with each directory
'cuz it'll give you problems later when you have to recover stuff.

-Mark

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Jack LaPlante wrote:

> I've done some preliminary reading on rsync, it seems like what I want.
> I'm still curious about which are the obvious RH9 directories that
> change too often or are devices etc. and should not be backed up.
>
> Rod Roark wrote:
>
> > I think you want to read up on rsync.  You can get it to
> > copy only what's changed, so you don't have to worry so much
> > about excluding things.
> >
> > -- Rod
> >
> > On Sunday 14 November 2004 12:23 pm, Jack LaPlante wrote:
> >
> >>I used to host about 12 clients by reselling CIHost shared accts, now I
> >>have my own dedicated server (at 1and1.com) and have been moving clients
> >>to it over the past few months.  CIHost claims nightly backups, but when
> >>a drive failed there  a couple of weeks ago, the most recent backup they
> >>had was 9 months old. My best customers were still on that drive and
> >>were quite pissed off! <insert long boring rant here> So now I am
> >>setting up a backup regime on my dedicated server.
> >>
> >>I'm buying the backup server from 1and1, and it is accessible only by
> >>logging in from my root server.  There's no bandwidth charge for ftping
> >>on their internal network.  I guess I will use tar to create a local
> >>archive on the root server, then ftp the compressed archive to the
> >>backup server.  I'm assuming I can automate this with bash scripts and cron.
> >>
> >>Basically, I want to be as all-inclusive as I can, so if my HD fails
> >>there will be as little interuption as possible.  So I thought I would
> >>include everything *except* certain directories.  The root server is
> >>RH9/apache.  What are the obvious directories to exclude from backing
> >>up?  And is this basically a sound backup plan?

> --
>

> --
>   Jack LaPlante
>   jlaplante@pwx.com