2004 Nov 11 09:44

[vox-tech] OT math question

I know this is quite off topic... however it deals with numbers generated by a
computer, so....

So I have some solar insolation values- 1 value per day for an entire year.
the graph of solar insolation (y-axis) vs. day of year (x-axis) vary in shape
- sometime looking very similar to a Gaussian distribution. I would like to
characterize the relative fatness of these "Gaussian-like" graphs with
something like a coefficient of variation... however, to the best of my
knowledge things like the CV operate on frequency distributions, which in
this case would only be characterizing the variation within the insolation
values with respect to eachother.

just for reference a sample image can be found here:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/solar/index.html#more

and if anyone is interested this is part of a dataset that was created and is
being visualized with the open source GIS package called GRASS. (yeah for
OSS!!)

thanks in advance, and sorry about the slightly off topic (and probably bone
headed) question...

Dylan