2004 Nov 03 11:45

Re: Tools for remote user-education : "Show Me" [was Re: [vox-tech]screen question ]

On Wed 03 Nov 04, 10:56 AM, ME <dugan@passwall.com> said:
> Karsten M. Self said:
> > on Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 09:07:21AM -0800, Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu)
> > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:53:30 -0500
> >> p@dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman) wrote:
> >
> > ['screen' reattaching not working]
> >
> >> See if you can work around the problem by using
> >> $ screen -d -R
> >> (both parameters at the same time)
> >
> > An alternative Rx is, erm, '-rx'.  That's "reattach, share".
> >
> > I often do this to attach (temporarially) to screen sessions I'm running
> > from another box.  Which I typically to for various reasons, even when
> > I'm _not_ remotely attaching to a system.
>
> I've used the share option when educating people on how to get things
> accomplished from a shell and we are both geographically distant from each
> other, but online. (Older versions of screen would not allow sharing of
> same "window" but newer ones do.)
>
> If you have never used the share option before, it allows two people to
> "share" a screen session; both people may type in the same session at the
> same time and have the same privs as shell in the given session. You are
> able to specify what users may attach to a shared screen session, and you
> must start it as a shared session for others to attach, but it can be
> quite excellent. (It also allows you to have multiple screen sessions
> opened and attached without detatching.)

That is SO phracking cool.  So, in essence, two people can play Infocom,
Scott Adams, Adventure, nethack, or any other text based game together?

> Another useful tool for educating people when they are remote is "ytalk"
> which uses the ntalk/talkd protocol.  With ytalk, you may spawn a shell of
> your own whil chatting, and they can see in their half-screen what you are
> doing. Unlike screen sharing, ytalk affords you your own shell, but has
> limited terminal support, and only a half screen, but the remote user does
> not have access to your shell and you do not have access to their shell.

Ytalk is awesome.  I first ran across it in 1991 while I was working as the
night shift / weekends/ holiday shift computer operator for San Francisco
State University.

It was my first (legal) experience on a Unix machine.  We had an Ultrix
machine running on a PDP, and I found ytalk while playing around with "man
-k".   Ytalk is really cool...

Pete