2004 Nov 01 10:29

Re: [vox-tech] simple backup and restore

Re: [vox-tech] simple backup and restore

Tim Riley wrote:
Jay Strauss wrote:

Hi,

I just want to do a simple backup, write the backup file to the system
disk or an NFS mount.  Then restore from that file.

I'm not sure what I should backup.  I figure I can exclude: /tmp /dev
/mnt /proc

If I do:

cd /
tar zcvf backup.tar.gz bin boot etc home initrd initrd.img lib media opt
root sbin  srv  sys  usr  var  vmlinuz

How would I restore, such that I get the previous image, and not a
combination of the restored files and the new files?

Instead of backing up individual system files and directories, consider
making an image backup of the entire filesystem:
# dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=10k | gzip > backup.dd.gz

Then upon restore, you're guaranteed to get the previous image.

Thanks Tim, I tried dd but it was taking forever. tar took 3.5 minutes to write and dd took 15 before I cancelled it. I'll try again with the bs=10k

Jay