2004 Oct 30 11:51

[vox-tech] Re: Re: Histograms on GNU/Linux?

[vox-tech] Re: Re: Histograms on GNU/Linux?

Again, this may be overkill for the simple situation that the original
questioner has, but I do want to bring to everyone's attention the R
statistical package.  R is open-source, so people on this list should be
pleased to hear that R has become extremely popular among statistics
users worldwide.

R started as a lookalike to S, a commercial product from Bell Labs.
(Kind of a pun on the C language from Bell Labs, with "S" for
"statistics," of course.)  AT&T then extended S to S-Plus, with the
extension mainly being a GUI to the old text-oriented S.  R remains
text-oriented.

Needless to say, R does histograms and myriad other statistical plots.
But it is also a programming language, of the scripting type.  It's
certainly not as powerful as Perl or Python (though there are R-Python
interfaces), but it does mean one can write one's own routines, say for
automating plots.

R is available at http://www.r-project.org/ and I have a short tutorial
at http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/r.html

Norm