2004 Oct 26 10:13

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, matthew lange wrote:

[...]

> That said...these people are complete ignoramuses.  If they don't realize
> that all they need is an ODBC driver for MySQL in order to access the DB
> directly from MSSQL, (which is always more preferable than converting the
> data to flat files), and that they can then populate their own MSSQL local
> tables through querying what MS calls a 'linked server' (--formerly referred
> to by MS as a 'remote server'),which is just a regular query to the MySQL
> server--then they don't really know their own product very well, and you
> want to be as far from them as possible.

Alternative explanation: The message they are sending to management is "M$
is interoperable with M$, and those free products are not interoperable,
so we have to break the data back down to the simplest possible form.  See
how hard it is to work with Free Software? You get what you pay for!"

> If I were you, I would, in front of the appropriate authority figure,
> espouse the benefits of accessing the 'real' data, as it is stored on MySQL,
> rather than capitulating to the ignorance of the hack (i.e. definitely not
> "hacker"), who is staking his/her claim to your data, and relying on an
> inferior method of data transfer through flat files.

For day-to-day work, there can be some glitches in this kind of
arrangement that require MySQL-specific familiarity... but you are right
that anyone should be able to fathom that this is a better way to
implement a data migration.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing