2004 Oct 26 08:55

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

Dylan,

Even if I knew how to make flat files from MySQL, I wouldn't tell you...and here's why:

I take particular interest in this article. While I tend to eschew MS as a whole (...yeah right, as my email comes from Hotmail--well FYI hotheads [some of whom I've heard from privately], I got this email address before MS bought them!!!), I would consider myself a relative expert in MSSQL, and actually enjoy the product. I have had great success using it in combination with Open Source Front Ends, and Open Source middle tier business app.s...(mainly Java, but some PHP, and some Python).

That said...these people are complete ignoramuses. If they don't realize that all they need is an ODBC driver for MySQL in order to access the DB directly from MSSQL, (which is always more preferable than converting the data to flat files), and that they can then populate their own MSSQL local tables through querying what MS calls a 'linked server' (--formerly referred to by MS as a 'remote server'),which is just a regular query to the MySQL server--then they don't really know their own product very well, and you want to be as far from them as possible.

If I were you, I would, in front of the appropriate authority figure, espouse the benefits of accessing the 'real' data, as it is stored on MySQL, rather than capitulating to the ignorance of the hack (i.e. definitely not "hacker"), who is staking his/her claim to your data, and relying on an inferior method of data transfer through flat files.

I can explain this to you if you like...but you can probably find the information you need on Microsoft.com or MSDN.

...My 2 cents.

Don't give 'em shit...give 'em the straight poop, and stand-up for what is right...at least technically...regardless of platform.

By the way...while it is always painful to see a curtain closing on your window of influence...just take it in stride, knowing that you are bound for far more important things.

Oh, and one more thing, now that the Open Source DBs are becoming more robust...I am definitely being swayed in their direction.

Cheers,

matthew