2004 Oct 25 12:52

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

Re: [vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

no, we won't help you do this! ... just kidding... sorry... we're too
nice... we'll help you anyway...

If you don't have too many tables, just open up the tables in PhpMyAdmin
and copy & paste the table entries to Excel & save.

Even writing such tool doesn't sound too hard in PHP -- just connect, and
write out CSV data for each table.

Now, ask a ASP/MS-SQL guy to do the same thing and it'll take twice as
long... (just knowing the surface of the ASP syntax and the availability
of tools for MS products...)

-Mark

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Well it is a sad day for in the world of opensource software gaining ground
> over proprietary products... (and in this case all at the taxpayer's expense)
>
> We had a beautiful system for managing about 500 volunteers written in
> PHP/MySQL and running on a linux machine, that was set to be moved to a MacOS
> X box for permenant use... Now it would seem that after some re-shuffling of
> administrative departments this is no longer the case, and they want the
> application re-written in ASP/MS-SQL... needless to say I won't have the
> privilege of participating in this act, but it would seem that before I go
> they want "flat files" of the MySQL DB. Short of writting some code to build
> the files, I was wondering if there is any such tool in the MySQL utils that
> will save something like a CSV file that represents the records in the DB...
> something like mysqldump, but without all of the SQL code mixed with the
> data...
>
> any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --