January 6: Social gathering
2004 Oct 22 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] sleep/standby mode under debian?

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:27:38AM -0700, ashleigh smythe wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible for my debian desktop (Dell
> dimension) to power-down or go to sleep when not in use for a certain
> amount of time?

It is possible if APM and/or ACPI is configured in your kernel, and you
are running apmd or acpid.  I believe ACPI support is more mature in
2.6.  Check out the apmd and acpid packages, and related tools and
kernel modules.

There are some caveats, such as network connections, sound, etc. not
working after a suspend/resume, but there are workarounds for these
problems.  Some of these are highlighted in the documentation for
apmd/acpid.

-David