2004 Oct 20 23:43

Re: [vox-tech] BASH: ignore space in for loop

Re: [vox-tech] BASH: ignore space in for loop

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

The "Name of place" values often have spaces in them, which seems to be confusing a for loop in bash:

running:
for this_quadname in `cat file_a`; do echo grep -i "$this_quadname" file_b ; done
    while read pattern
    do
        grep -i "$pattern" file_b
    done < file_a

or

    cat file_a | while read pattern
    do
        grep -i "$pattern" file_b
    done

PS I am merely trying to implement a simple many-to-one join on 2 text files based on a common key, which is the first column in each file... however the spaces in the keys are messing up the conventional 'join' program...
You should be able to specify the field separator using join's -t option...?