2004 Oct 09 21:23

RE: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Karalius, Joseph said:
> next question would be, what is the significance of the LED?  Does it
> simply
> mean that there is power to the device, or is it a highly advanced idiot
> light that comes on only when all functions are verified?

Different LED on Ethernet ports mean different things.
A "Link Light" comes on when there is a link-beat detected (with some
ports) or power to the Rx/Tx pairs of the port from another device in
others.

A "Speed Light" comes on to let you know what speed is being used on a
multi-speed port (10/100/1000 Mbps) ubt not all ports have these.

An "Activity Light" comes on when there are bits being passed on a link.
(Some ports will have different lights for Tx vs. Rx.)

Some ports which are integrated into the MotherBoard will have LED which
light up in a specific pattern during POST to provide diagnostics on the
interface or other parts of the system.

Just what a light means depends on the product, and how it has been
configured to operate with the system.

-ME