2004 Oct 06 18:13

[vox-tech] nice example of "mainstream" usage of the open sourceapproach

[vox-tech] nice example of "mainstream" usage of the open sourceapproach

The Sept. 10 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education reports that
several universities have banded together to develop their own open
source financial management project.  Right now, they are paying up to
$20 million for systems from Oracle and the like.

It's a wonderful example of open source working (well, the project isn't
over yet) for the most fundamental of reasons:  Open source can give you
good quality at a fraction of the cost of commercial products.
Moreover, their project will probably actually be better than the
commercial stuff.

I'll leave the article on my Web page for a while, at

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/kuali.txt

Norm