2004 Oct 04 16:16

Re: [vox-tech] VTK 3D image capturing

Well, I'm just taking a stab in the dark so it may be totally irrelevant,
but...

When rendering an image, it can be done in several ways.  *In 2D*, you can
draw directly to the hardware, or you can draw it in memory then copy the
drawn image to the hardware.  The former is faster but it can end up with
unsmooth animation (if you're animating) or snow flicker.  The latter,
called double buffering (because you're buffering the image before it's
rendered on the video card's memory), is slower but you get better timing
control therefore smoother animation.  Thus the need for multiple ways of
rendering images to the screen.

In 3D, rendering directly to hardware is fast, and saves quite a bit of
resources by optimization.  For example, the hardware can figure out if
it's drawing inside a visible area or outside a visible area, then ignore
the entire invisible area altogether.  So if your 3D rendering area is
underneath another window, It's *possible* the 3D video hardware may not
render that area altogether.

But if you double-buffer, the video hardware must draw the 3D image in a
buffered memory area first, then copy that rendered image onto the screen;
the process is same as that of a 2D image rendering.  I'm *guessing* the
video hardware, in double buffering, has no chance to figure out which
area of the image is invisible, thus is forced to render the entire window
in memory.  This memory area then, at some point, gets plastered on the
screen by the DMA or video card or whatever that handles the image copying
process.

I'm suggesting perhaps there's a way for you to get a hold of this
buffered image area that DMA uses, and copy that image area into a
graphics format you can manipulate instead of pasting it on the screen.
Quick googling shows VTK has some sort of double buffering option, but I'm
not sure if you can get access to the double buffered image.

It's just an idea.  It'll probably lead to nowhere. =P  But it's worth a
look if you're out of options and have a few minutes to spare.

-Mark =)

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/