2004 Oct 03 21:14

Re: [vox-tech] alsa configuration

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
list,
I have been trying to get the sound to work in my computer. At boot when
the ALSA mixer settings would be loaded, it fails and says to manually
use "alsactl restore". When I do that, it says "alsactl:
load_state:1134: No soundcards found...". When I google on that, peoples
problems mostly seem to be conflicts between OSS and ALSA when they have
both installed at the same time. As far as I know, the only OSS stuff I
have is the emulation in ALSA. Here is what lsmod says:
Module Size Used by
ds 15784 4 thermal 10352 0 fan 2796 0 button 4696 0 processor 14160 1 thermal
ac 3308 0 battery 7660 0 snd_es1938 21832 0 snd_pcm_oss 59912 0 snd_mixer_oss 19904 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 99492 2 snd_es1938,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 9768 1 snd_pcm
snd_opl3_lib 10112 1 snd_es1938
snd_timer 24644 2 snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib
snd_hwdep 8416 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_mpu401_uart 7104 1 snd_es1938
snd_rawmidi 22784 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 7496 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd 59972 10
snd_es1938,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore 7328 1 snd
8139too 20736 0 yenta_socket 18656 1 pcmcia_core 62376 2 ds,yenta_socket
uhci_hcd 30348 0 af_packet 16872 0
So what should I do? Do I really have some OSS thing that is causing a
problem for ALSA? Do I have all the right ALSA modules? Thanks.
Nick

I had a problem with this too. In my case I needed to tell discover not to load the OSS modules for my card.

I did this like:

echo "skip i810_audio" >> /etc/discover.conf

Maybe someone else on this list can tell you the driver to skip

Jay