2004 Oct 03 05:33

Re: [vox-tech] Cut and paste

Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:14:34AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:

It's like there are 2 clipboards or something. Can't I do cut and paste without mousing? The menu->edit->copy doesn't have a keyboard shortcut.

It IS a little bizarre sometimes. :^/

You can add a copy keyboard shortcut to Konsole by going to
Settings->Configure Shortcuts...

I should have looked at that, I'd been playing with other things on the settings menu

There's a "Copy" command in there which, by default, has no keyboard shortcut.

You could also do the slightly-tedious (but understandable since this is
a terminal app):

[Alt]
pause... ("Session" menu at the top will become selected)
[Right] (to move to the "Edit" menu)
[Down] (to 'pull down' the "Edit" menu;
"Copy" is first, so will be selected)
[Enter] (to choose "Edit")

Yes, I'd consider that a bit tedious :)

Text selection (highlighting) in Konsole and then middle-click pasting
SHOULD work, though. But it does seem there's a difference between
pasting the highlighted selection and pasting something you've "Edit->Copy"'d

Yep, I've discovered that. middle mousing is different than copy/paste. I'm just getting used to this, coming from windows where everything goes to the 1 clipboard

BTW, quick example... I can set [Alt]+[C] to be 'Copy' in my Konsole.

However, that makes it impossible (or difficult, at best) to send
an "Alt-C" sequence to a program I'm running _in_ the terminal.

Emacs, for example, seems to use Alt-C to capitalize words.
('foo foo foo' becomes 'Foo Foo Foo' if I hit Alt-C three times)

So be sure to pick some key sequence you don't need in the apps you'll be
running. (Like [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[C] or something wacky :^) )

Good luck!

Thanks Bill !

Jay