2004 Sep 30 10:14

OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

Henry House wrote:
<snip>
On a related note, I have also been having a frustrating time working with
graphics in OO. I have about 20 plots of economic data. I generated these
using gnuplot --- perhaps you saw my previous messages about that. Despite
gnuplot's quirky interface and documentation, its output quality rocks
pretty hard. I tried doing one plot in OO and quickly gave up after I ended
up with something that resembled a child's toy dataplot.
The frustration is does not support any decent vector format! Rasterizing my
plots is not a good option, since the printed output need to look decent.
OO does not know how to rasterize EPS on-screen, so EPS graphic objects in
OOWriter look very ugly, though they print at high quality. OO does not
support SVG at all. The only choice is EMF (enhanced windows metafile),
which displays nicely on-screen, though its print quality is inferior to
EPS.
I went with it anyway, since my clients to be able to work with my document
using their proprietary windows software. I suspect that EMF is the
best-supported format on windows and that EPS is risky. I can't test this
because my office is all-Linux now. I am interested in others' observations
about exchanging graphics embedded in word-processor documents across
platforms.

The fact that OO.o does not display imported EPS graphics on-screen is a PITA. However, you can export to pdf where the graphics do show and are high quality. But this doesn't help much either if your clients need to edit your documents, and I suppose Latex is out of the question ;)

I'm curious: how did you convert EPS to EMF?

Jonathan