2004 Sep 30 02:43

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> My heart belongs to WindowMaker:  clean, fast, light, adaptable, highly
> keyboard driven, out-of-your-face, and prefs portable with only a couple
> of files readily copied between boxen.

Works for Me<tm>.

> Have to say that while I generally prefer the look of Gtk over Qt
> (particularly some of the candy KDE themes), I'm finding KDE apps more
> usable these days.

I find that whether something is a "KDE app" or a "GNOME app", or
neither makes rather less difference than say, people's blood types on
an ongoing basis.  Abiword, Gnumeric, Konqueror, JPilot, Bluefish, Dia,
GIMP, MrProject, and so on have merits and usability completely without
regard to which school colours their libs and graphical toolkits wear.

> Particularly as the GNOME disease starts making applications
> *completely* unusable:  Nautilus, Galeon (still using 1.3.15 on one
> box....

Nautilus never struck me as particularly usable.  Galeon is indeed a sad
case, but leadership from the browser's own developers would have
prevented that.

At some point, all "GNOME apps" developed by sensible coders may be
obliged to declare themselves (once again) strictly GTK+ applications
that just happen to use selected libs from the collection associated
with the GNOME Project.  I shudder to think what might happen, for
example to Gnumeric, otherwise.

And Waugh was talking to the Mozilla Project about HIG standard.... Much
potential for badness, there.

rick@linuxmafia.com