January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 28 10:11

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):

> This was also discussed in Rick Moen's post, and he listed several
> programs that handle several different subsystems.

In fairness, Jay listed several categories of hardware setup that I
didn't touch on it all.

Something worth playing with:  Ubuntu Linux Preview 1
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

It's Debian "sid" (current unstable branch) with an easy installer using
a 2.6 kernel, and provides GNOME 2.8 as default desktop.  I'll bet it
does the hardware autorecognition thing well.  There have been all sorts
of really admiring reviews, lately, some of which is linked from
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/press/document_view

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                     Age, baro, fac ut gaudeam.