2004 Sep 30 10:53

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:06:12 -0700
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > So my question is:
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a route for installing on my laptop that will
> > help me detect/identify all the components on my laptop (network
> > card, wireless card, ir port, monitor, sound card...), give me a
> > nice slim install, and ideally use APT for software administration
>
> I'll refer again to Rick Moen's detailed post in this regard.
>
> Note that installation is a one-time hassle.  Maintenance and upgrades
> are a far greater long-term concern, and it's here that Debian shines.
> Additionally, a reinstallation is *NOT* necessary for you to get the
> system you want.  Asking a few well-placed questions such as "what
> drivers do I need for...", "how do I find...", or "is there a
> post-installation hardware autodetection tool I can use for Debian",
> might get you a lot of mileage.
>
> Actually, I'll ask that last question, because it would be really nice
> if there were, and I'm not currently aware of one.  Anyone?

This was also discussed in Rick Moen's post, and he listed several
programs that handle several different subsystems.

--Ken Bloom

"All the spots [of tzarat] that a man sees on others, are his own."
 -- The Mishna, as read according to the Ba'al Shem Tov