January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 28 21:35

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:06:12AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
<snip>
>   - WinXP local login is 21 seconds to show desktop, and 40 seconds
>     before login-time processes have all launched.

Tell me about it.  Many a morning, I walk into the office, hit the power
button, and then hit the restroom or go get a coffee.  A fast laptop running
XP is frustratingly slow to boot compared to even KDE on my slow desktop!

The fastest I've seen any time lately has been a basic WindowMaker or IceWM
launch.  It's insane!

But, as an app-lover, I've come accustom to Konqueror and the rest of KDE,
so I live with the slower login process.  It's not like I _ever_ log out of
my Linux box.  I just lock the screen and turn off the monitor. :^)

<snip>
> The other question is:  how often are you logging in?  My current uptime
> is ~140+ days, and I think I've restarted X less than a handful of times
> in that interval.  Incidentally, APM restore's going to take > 10
> seconds in all likelihood, though less time than a full boot.

My uptime is 26 days, but that was probably when I moved my desk from
Davis and had to disassemble and reassemble all my computer bits. :^)
And damn!... I've been logged in to X-Window / KDE almost as long!

USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
  kendrick :0       -                01Sep04 ?xdm?   3days  0.06s -:0

<snip>
> Additionally, a reinstallation is *NOT* necessary for you to get the
> system you want.

Especially when it comes to situations like: "it installed more than I needed"
'apt-get install debfoster' and run it, and you can fairly easily cull your
system.  (Just have another window open to do 'apt-cache show [packagename]'
to double-check what unrecognized packages are :^) )

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                            New Breed Software
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       Tux Paint 0.9.14 -- Coming soon!