2004 Sep 26 22:16

Re: [vox-tech] Jumpdrive on Knoppix

OK. On a harddrive install where I have root privileges, I edit the fstab. Here is a line for my usb compactflash reader:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash auto noauto,users 0 0

The "users" flag means that when it gets mounted, the entire filesystem is owned by the user that mounted it[1].

Another option is to pass "uid=username" option when mounting a vfat filesystem. This will also make the entire filesystem owned by "username".

I'm curious: if your wife is interested enough in Linux to use Knoppix for work tasks, why not dual boot her computer?

Jonathan

[1]
I now use autofs for mounting/unmounting my detachable devices.

Richard Harke wrote:
Yes, it is USB. I used vfat as the type when I mounted and that
worked well. The main problem was that I couldn't do a chown
on it. If I get something that works, I could modify the iso image
before burning another CD.

Richard